Thursday, November 03, 2016

Pepe's Art

My old pigeon partner Jose Morales y Serranno, who met his wife , an Albuquerqe native of Italian descent, returned to Sevilla after getting his PhD in English- speaking writers of the Spanish Civil War. Despite occasional political disagreements- like Pepe's fellow traveler on the left Stephen Spender, I will never think of Roy Campbell as other than a great lyric and talented satirical poet, despite his being on the "wrong" side--I miss him. He taught me everything I know about Spanish pouters-- and who else would depict a beautiful woman with my favorite breed, the English Carrier, both handsome and grotesque?
(Something minor interesting here too.The bird is depicted with a RED eye cere, like a Barb or Catalonian tumbler or the Badgdads the fanatics are killing in Syria, or even the Scanderoons ("Iskadruns"- birds of Alexander the Great), of Nuremberg do. But the English ones no longer have red ceres. I wonder if those of southern Spain, closer to Africa and their roots, do? I rather prefer the red...

Catalonian of the "Strawberry Eye" variant- a very attractive variety never imported to the US and supposedly very rare.(From Levi)

A Spanish Barb hen-I used to have these

"Iskandrun", Alexander's (German!) bird, in profile...



The modern endangered Syrian breeds, which resemble both their English and German relatives.I like these, too, and I bet they can FLY.
Jat Dusard's portrait of me with Scanderoon and pouters in Bozeman. Can't FIND the damn thing in this house's infernal clutter, though his portrait of me & dogs hangs in the bedroom...

No comments: